Aero Hotel, 1907
A historically important collection of drawings and plans by the architect and planner Sir Frank Mears was sold at auction this week. The collection, previously held by the firm of Frank Mears and Partners, featured as four lots in the the Decorative Arts sale at Lyon & Turnbull in Edinburgh on Wednesday 11 November.
Scottish National War Memorial as Via Sacra (1919)
In the course of his career, Frank Mears prepared a number of schemes for monuments and memorials. The collection includes a sketch by Mears and the architect Ramsay Traquair for a memorial to Edward VII & I at the foot of the Canongate in Edinburgh (1911), a watercolour of his proposal for a Scottish National War Memorial as Via Sacra (1919), and a watercolour by the architect Robert Naismith of Mears’ Royal Scots Regiment Monument in Princes Street Gardens (1950).
Invermoriston Bridge (1933)
In 1930, Frank Mears and Charles Denny Carus-Wilson were appointed consultant architects for five new road bridges on the A82 in the Highlands. The collection includes a watercolour panel of their design for the Oich Bridge (1930) and watercolour elevations of their bridges at Fort Augustus and Invermoriston (1933).
Housing Scheme at Connor Street, Peebles (1936)
From 1932, Mears prepared plans and designs for a number of housing schemes in the Royal Burgh of Peebles. The collection includes plans and elevations for schemes at Neidpath Road (1935) and Connor Street (1936).
Reconstruction of Baker Street, Stirling (1943)
In 1936, Stirling Town Council engaged Mears to advise on the redevelopment of Baker Street in the burgh’s historic core. The collection includes watercolour sketches for the reconstruction of Baker Street dated 1940 and 1943.
Major Planning Proposals for Elgin (1946)
In 1938, Mears was engaged by Elgin Town Council to advise on a scheme for the historic part of the town. Work was suspended following the outbreak of hostilities in 1939, but in 1944 the Council asked him to prepare a development plan for post-war reconstruction. The collection includes his plans for major new residential development and the road improvements required to support it (1946).
The drawings have been acquired for the national collection by Historic Environment Scotland.